Sunday, November 27, 2011

two astronomers walk into a bar...

i went to a favorite pub in sydney a few weeks ago with some non-astronomer friends, who started making fun of me immediately when i arrived, because i was wearing my star wars t-shirt. i defended myself, in vain.

when it was my round for drinks, i went up to the bar with one of these friends so we could decide what kind of beer we wanted. while in the queue, i thought maybe i recognized the silhouette of someone there. sure enough, despite the hundreds of bars in sydney, there were a few astronomers at the pub who happened to be attending a conference in sydney that week.

i walked up, tapped an astronomer friend on the shoulder, and when he turned around i happily pointed out that he was also wearing a star wars t-shirt :)


i'm not sure if that actually helped my case, but i felt somehow vindicated!

3 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I often feel that way with the small coincidences that validate some quirk or odd position that I may have taken...

Pixie, I have always wondered if you root for Ohio State football... an older cousin played for the Buckeyes and my allegiance when south down 75 with him... they lost a hard fought game in Ann Arbor... but it was very exciting and entertaining...

StuntTrader said...

Two astronomers walk into a bar..

The third one ducks :)

Unknown said...

mark - i dont really follow the sport at all. but if i had to choose, i guess it would be O-H-I-O!